Visiting International Student Programs

Thinking of visiting the University of Toronto for a semester or two? Explore the many study opportunities we offer and find a program that works for you! 

  • International Visiting Graduate Student Research: For international graduate students who would like to conduct research at the U of T for a semester or full academic year.
  • English Language Program: In-depth academic courses in English offered by the University of Toronto’s School of Continuing Studies.
  • Inbound Exchange Program: For students who are attending one of our partner institutions and are interested in earning credits at U of T over a semester or a full academic year.


students on the front step of Cumberland House


As an international student, you will need valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada.

It is your responsibility to make sure that all of your immigration and legal documents are maintained and up-to-date. CIE holds regular information sessions and workshops to help you understand your responsibilities. Please regularly check CIE's website for updated information and workshop dates.

Required documents to study in Canada

  • A valid passport
  • A Study Permit: If you want to study in Canada for more than six months (and are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) you will need to get a Study Permit before you arrive here. 
  • A Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa or aneTA) before entering Canada.

Living in Toronto

Welcome to Toronto! This page provides a variety of information that will help you get acquainted with your new city.

Looking for more general information about living in Toronto? The Toronto Wikipedia page is a good place to start exploring. The City of Toronto also has a helpful website about Living in Toronto for newcomers to the city.

You can also check out CIE’s Pre-Arrival Guide to help you prepare for your arrival at the University of Toronto.


UPDATE: Applying for Child Care Subsidies 

Child care subsidies may be offered by municipalities to help with the cost of child care.  In the City of Toronto, if you are applying for a child care subsidy, file your Canadian income tax return immediately to receive your Canada Revenue Agency, Notice of Assessment (NOA). Once you apply, you will be put on the wait-list for a child care fee subsidy. When the child care subsidy office contacts you they will request a copy of The Notice of Assessment to consider your eligibility for subsidy in the City of Toronto.  The Toronto child care subsidy office main information contact number is 416-338-8888 (press option #2 for child care).

Other municipalities generally will only offer child care subsidies to help Canadian citizens, landed immigrants or refuges with the cost of child care.

Please contact the Family Care Office if you require further information.

Posted: June 26, 2018 

Income taxes

International students are encourage to think about filing applications for income taxes with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The CRA has information on what your duties and responsibilities are in income tax filing, and the CIE offers supportive programming to help along the way. Many students believe they will get money back – which may or may not be true – depending on a many factors on your specific tax situation.

Be sure to review the information on this site and sign up for an information session to learn more about the Canadian income tax system.

Health Insurance

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for all international and exchange students enrolled in an Ontario university. UHIP helps to cover the cost of hospital and medical services you may need to maintain your health while in Canada. You are automatically enrolled in UHIP, and the coverage charge will be listed on ROSI, your student account.

Everything you need to know about UHIP is available online at

This section of the website provides additional information specifically for international students at the University of Toronto. Please note that our UHIP office does not provide or administer coverage for post-doctoral fellows or visiting scholars.

Students walking on campus

Transition advising

As an international student at U of T, you will encounter many new experiences and challenges. Our transition advisors are here to help you adjust to the University and life in Canada.

We can help you:

  • Adjust to CanadaLearn how to form friendships in Canada, succeed in the U of T classroom, live in Toronto’s climate, or deal with feeling homesick.
  • Build your new community – Get involved on- and off-campus, find groups and sign up for activities.
  • Make a plan – Achieve your goals during your time here at the University of Toronto.
  • Find help when you need it – Get access to helpful programs, services and information.


English Language Support

As an international student, you have access to language support programs and many other academic resources while you are here at U of T:

Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program

Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Toronto is a fully-funded scholarship awarded to students from Sub-Saharan Africa who demonstrate academic talent, a personal commitment to giving back to their home countries, and face significant economic barriers to higher education.

Please note that we will not be accepting applications for the 2018-2019 academic year.

For general information about the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, please visit the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program website. 

Pre-Arrival Guide

Before you arrive in Toronto, there are some things you will need to prepare for – everything from organizing your travel documents to finding somewhere to live. Check out our Pre-Arrival Guide and Next Steps Checklist for details.

Pre-arrival guide

Toronto Pearson International Airport

When you land at Toronto Pearson International Airport in August or September, our welcome booth and friendly staff will be there to greet you. 

Read this page for details about what to expect at Customs, and how to get from the airport to U of T.


If you are a new student at U of T, then orientation is for you! Orientation is a great way to meet your new classmates and discover useful information about the University.

Orientation activities take place in the week or two leading up to the start of classes in early September. If you arrive in January you will find some orientation activities taking place, but on a smaller scale.

Read more about orientation activities

Wondering what “frosh” means?

A frosh is someone who is new to University. The word comes from the term “freshman,” which is more common in America. If you're a first-year student, then you're a frosh. You'll hear the word a lot during the week of Orientation activities, which is often called Frosh Week. 

Academic support

Academic culture can vary greatly from one country to another, and many students need time to adjust to new rules and expectations. We can help you understand how things work at U of T.

Read through this page or talk to a CIE transition advisor about any classroom challenges you might be facing. Getting tips from someone who knows the system can be a big help. Find out more about academic support offered at U of T.