The Distinguished Paralegal Award was created in 2011 and renamed in 2014 in honour of William J. Simpson, to recognize a paralegal who has demonstrated one or more of the following criteria:
- outstanding professional achievement;
- contribution to the development of the profession;
- devotion to professional duties;
- adherence to best practices and mentoring of others in best practices;
- a history of community service;
- personal character that brings credit to the paralegal profession.
Edwarda De Oliveira Castro is the recipient of the 2017 William J. Simpson Distinguished Paralegal Award.
Licensed in 2012, "Dena" D. Castro has demonstrated extraordinary dedication and an exemplary work ethic as a licensed paralegal at a criminal law firm in Hamilton. In addition, she played a critical role in establishing the Drug Treatment Court Program for the Ontario Court of Justice in Hamilton and volunteers at numerous community and charitable organizations.
John Tzanis, 2016
W. Paul Dray, 2015
Paula Stamp, 2014
Elaine Page, 2013
Brian J. Lawrie, 2012